Pools & Hot Tubs
All permanent pools more than 24” in depth and all hot tubs require a Building Permit. Click on the links below for information regarding placement, safety, guarding and electrical requirements.
When returning the Building Permit Application, the following items are required:
- A copy of the Zoning Permit. Not all townships have zoning at this time. Check with your township officials or this office if you do not know if your township has Zoning. Use our Zoning page to find the zoning requirements and contact information for your municipality.
- A Certificate of Insurance on your contractor. The state requires proof of workmen’s compensation on the contractor (if the contractor has employees) or a signed and notarized Workers’ Comp Exemption Form.
- A site plan showing your lot and the placement of the pool or hot tub.
Application and Plans Review: When you bring your plans into the office, the permit technician will check your application and plans submission for completeness and verify who is to be contacted when the Permit is ready to be issued.
Permit Issuance: In-Ground and Above-Ground pools WITHOUT decks can usually be issued within 24 hours. Pools with decks usually take less than a week, depending on the completeness of the plans submitted. We will contact you when the Permit is ready for pick-up and advise you of the cost. Pennsylvania UCC states that Permits must be issued within 15 working days if not returned to the applicant for additional changes or information. (This time frame only applies if all required pre-construction approvals have been submitted with the Permit Application.)
Payment (Residential Building Permit Fees): Payment in full must be made before we can release the Permit or perform any inspections. There will be paperwork attached with your Permit explaining when inspections will be done during the construction process. It is the responsibility of the owner to ensure all required inspections are completed and approved. No inspections can be performed until the Permit has been paid for in full.
- Above Ground Pools = 1 inspection (1 hour) @ current hourly inspection rate
- Above Ground Pool WITH Deck = 2 inspections (2 hour) @ current hourly inspection rate
- In-Ground Pool = 2 inspections (2 hour) @ current hourly inspection rate
- Hot Tubs = will vary depending on placement, either 1 or 2 hours @ current hourly inspection rate