The Following Information Applies to All Residential Permits:
Inspection fees for permits are based upon the International Code Council permit fee formula. This formula is revised and published two times a year by the ICC and reflects the costs of various use groups of construction as well as being adjusted to reflect semi-annual construction cost adjustments. (Updated 8/1/2019)
To calculate the approximate residential permit fee* use the following formula:
(Gross Area) X $121.00*** = (Cost of Construction) X .0066 = Permit Fee
(Gross Area) = the square footage of habitable living spaces
Example: To apply the formula and estimate the permit fee for a new residential single-story house 40’ x 30’ with an unfinished basement, the following calculations would apply:
(40’ X 30’)=
1200 sq ft x $121.00 = $145,200.00 x .0066 = $958.00 (+$4.50**) = $962.50 Permit Fee
- Permit costs include plan review fees and the mandated inspections as required by the state Uniform Construction Code.
- **Act 157 of the PA Uniform Construction Code requires that all code agencies collect a $4.50 surcharge for every permit issued.
- The addition of a garage and/or finished basement will alter the final permit costs. Please contact the CK-COG office for information regarding applicable fees. (e.g. attached garages are calculated at $18.00 per sq ft)
- Actual Permit fees will be calculated by the Building Code Official after the plan review and verification of occupied living space. The formula above is only to assist you in estimating your costs.
- Permit fees for repairs, alterations, and most additions are based on the number of inspections that will be required and are set at the discretion of the Building Code Official.
Permits with Hourly Fee rates: (2020 hourly fee is $65.00 per hour)
*(Estimate only for NEW construction and additions over 500 sq. ft.)
***(Modular Home multiplier is $111.00 per sq ft)